Setting up a new developer Macbook
Every ~4 years, I’m getting a new Mac. It has happened a few times now, so I thought I might as well make a setup guide for next time. Also, it’s interesting to see how many (or few!) things change.
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
brew tap heroku/brew brew install \ heroku \ n \ pyenv \ redis \ postgresql \ z \ zsh \ oh-my-zsh \ git \ diff-so-fancy \ yarn \ ffmpeg \ hashicorp/tap/terraform
You want to use n without sudo, see n on github:
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/n sudo chown -R $(whoami) /usr/local/n sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin /usr/local/lib /usr/local/include /usr/local/share sudo chown -R $(whoami) /usr/local/bin /usr/local/lib /usr/local/include /usr/local/share
Make zsh nicer.
sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/install.sh)"
Install Homebrew casks
brew install --cask \ dropbox \ iterm2 \ google-chrome \ firefox \ keybase \ 1password \ slack \ webstorm \ pycharm \ visual-studio-code \ spotify \ alfred \ figma \ postman \ rectangle \ sublime-text \ ngrok
Log in to dropbox
Link settings files
This is how I keep settings synced across machines
cd ln -s Dropbox/settings/.git_profile ln -s Dropbox/settings/.bash_profile ln -s Dropbox/settings/.gitignore_global ln -s Dropbox/settings/.gitconfig ln -s Dropbox/settings/.zshrc
touch .local_profile .zshrc.local
- Install the delicious Dejavu Sans Mono For Powerline
- Add settings by going to
General -> Load preferences from a custom folder or urland loading the iterm folder from
- Get IDE settings/plugins synced from my account
- Make Alfred search for folders and Chrome bookmarks – Alfred -> Settings -> Features -> Web bookmarks
- Make Caps lock button act as CTRL instead – Alfred-search “Keyboard” -> Modifier Keys
- Swap windows within application with
cmd-ctrl-tab– Alfred-search “Keyboard” -> Shortcuts -> Keyboard -> Move focus to next window
- Remove the bad shortcuts –> Alfred-search “Keyboard” -> Shortcuts -> Generally remove every you don’t know or use.
- Set finder to always open in list view – Open finder, click your harddisk, click cmd-J and configure.
defaults write com.apple.dock autohide -bool true defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 1000 defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool TRUE && killall Dock
- Spectacle replaced with Rectangle, due to no longer in active development
- Keybase removed. Zoom acquired them, and Mac Silicon seems to be a problem.
- Removed oh-my-zsh. No longer being served through brew.
- Removed node – no need when installing n.
- Added terraform
Temporary Mac Silicon issues
# npm fails at installing npm module sharp (and probably others) # https://sharp.pixelplumbing.com/install#apple-m1 brew install --build-from-source gcc